The Year Ahead
Given the New Year and all that brings, I want to announce some changes I am going to be making to the blog and others things.
- Since I started this blog, I’ve tried to maintain a pretty narrow purview of things I would write about sticking pretty closely to data specific issues of the Chinese economy I felt were either not understood or discrepancies that needed attention. Probably even more fundamentally, I try to focus on economic and financial issues that were poorly understood and educate people about what is happening in China. When I first started writing this blog, people might have had suspicions about Chinese GDP, for instance, but they had little evidence or ways to compare where problems might be. Now however, there is a much higher level not just among the technicians but even among more casual observers about these issues.
- Given the narrow range of issues I initially set out to tackle on this blog and how the conversation has changed, I am going to expand the range of things I am going to write about. Let me strongly emphasize this blog will still focus on China and primarily the economy and financial markets. In fact, it will remain data focused just like what I have done before but I expand somewhat to include background on economic and financial issues that I think are poorly understood. There will not be any blog posts about the Chinese writer Mo Yan or anything but expanding to cover nearby issues.
- One thing I plan to do is invite guest writers from time to time to make guest posts. This will hopefully mean Chinese economists as well as others that have unique Chinese expertise that I cannot provide. The writing will follow a very similar style in the sense of trying to help people understand specific issues and providing background that will help provide perspective. One thing that I hope to do with this is provide different viewpoints about various issues in China. As someone who travels around China and meets with people who spend as much time as I do studying China, I get exposed to lots of smart people that have interesting ideas and viewpoints. I believe firmly in the exchange of ideas even I do not agree with it. I expect to have some Chinese economists that may or may not attach their name to the post for fear of pushback, but will hopefully bring additional perspective. Living in China, I get the privilege of hearing a range of very smart Chinese talk about many of these issues. There is a real diversity of opinion among Chinese economists and hopefully I can bring you some of that.
- I am taking the blog in slightly new direction for a couple of reasons. First, I feel the level of conversation and knowledge about the Chinese economy is a lot higher than it used to be. However, that bring different shortcomings in how people view the Chinese economy. Second, to use a cliché, I want to stretch myself as an artist and not get type cast. Third, I think is a lot of additional detail about various issues here that need addressing that simply cannot be addressed by data forensics. Fourth, there are a lot more issues surrounding China and Chinese-US relations that cannot be studied with the more narrow type of data work I have typically focused on in the past. Again, I will not be straying too far afield but rather expanding what I have done to encompass issues of importance.
- The other reason is that I am doing enough other things that I cannot dedicate the time I would like to writing for the blog but want to continue. I am privileged to be able to write for Bloomberg as well as other activities.
- I also plan to create a page which will have the blog in Chinese. Honestly, this will be done using Google Translate which has gotten to a really high level and then reviewed by an RA, but we will have the blog in Chinese.
- Most importantly, I am working on a big project that I will be unveiling in the next few months that is taking a not insignificant amount of time. I am really excited about this project and will unveil hopefully by March 1, but it is something I’m really excited about.
For the time being, all the best for a happy and healthy 2017. I am really excited about the upcoming year.