By Giovanni Zaburoni
Becoming a millionaire isn’t something that just happens overnight. For most people it takes hard work, perseverance, and a solid business plan but even then, it seems earning seven figures can be elusive. People who have been able to reach that level of success share some common characteristics and if you are striving to reach that million dollar goal, why not follow the footsteps of those who are earning the kind of money you hope to make in the future.
According to Business Insider, Thomas C. Corley came up with the term “rich habits,” after spending five years researching almost 180 self-made millionaires. Corley says, “From my research, I discovered that daily habits dictate how successful or unsuccessful you will be in life. There is a cause and effect associated with habits. Habits are the cause of wealth, poverty, happiness, sadness, stress, good relationships, bad relationships, good health, or bad health.” Here are 13 “rich habits” that you may want to start practicing if you plan on being a millionaire.
- Read every day, not just for entertainment purposes but to acquire knowledge or improve your lifestyle. Three types of books millionaires tend to read are self-improvement books, biographies of other successful people and books about history.
- Millionaires exercise every day. Cardio is key.
- Hanging out with other successful people helps your own drive to succeed. Your friends are a reflection of you.
- Don’t chase someone else’s dream. Figure out what you want and go for it. Corley says, Pursuing your own dreams and goals creates the greatest long-term happiness and results in the greatest accumulation of wealth.”
- Corley’s study shows almost 50% of millionaires wake up at least three hours before their work day begins, so rise and shine.
- Having only one source of income can cripple your finances. According to Corley, 65% of self-made millionaires had three sources of income.
- Getting a mentor is extremely important. Having someone in your corner that has already encountered what you are going through can help you avoid a number of mistakes. According to Corley, “finding a mentor puts you on the fast track to wealth accumulation.”
- A positive attitude goes a long way.
- According to the Business Insider, successful people create their own lane. Blending in can hinder your success.
- Etiquette principals like sending thank you letters or remembering other people’s birthday’s or anniversary’s goes a long way.
- Share your success. Corley writes,” Helping other success-minded people move forward in achieving their goals and dreams helps you succeed.”
- Alone time is extremely important. According to Corley, thinking is the key to your success. Spending some alone time every day to brainstorm ideas about your business venture may pay off big time in the long run.
- Getting feedback from others will help you grow as a business person and future millionaire. Corley says, “Feedback provides you with the information you will need in order to succeed in any venture.”