Point2Homes notes 18 North American Cities Saw Home Prices Jump Over 50% in Just 5 Years
- 18 of the 83 largest North American real estate markets saw home prices jump over 50% in just 5 years. Of the 18 markets with the most explosive growth, 11 are in the US, 6 in Canada, and 1 in Mexico.
- Only 2 cities witnessed a drop in home price compared to 5 years ago, and both are located in Alberta, CA: Calgary and Edmonton.
- San Francisco boasts the highest net increase of all the cities in the study ($550,000), followed by 2 Canadian cities: Vancouver ($417,913 CAD) and Surrey ($395, 287 CAD).
Top Ten North America Price Jumps
40% and Over Club USA
- Detroit, MI: 97% *
- San Francisco, CA: 69% *
- Seattle, WA: 66% *
- San Jose, CA: 58%
- Sacramento, CA: 56%
- Nashville, TN: 55%
- Bronx, NY: 54% **
- Columbus, OH: 53%
- Queens, NY: 52% **
- Brooklyn, NY: 52% **
- Fort Worth, TX: 52%
- Denver, CO: 50% *
- Las Vegas, NV: 48% *
- Milwaukee, WI: 48%
- Jacksonville, FL: 46%
- Portland, OR: 46% *
- Philadelphia, PA: 45%
- Boston, MA: 44% *
- Phoenix, AZ: 43% *
- Los Angeles, CA: 43% *
- Indianapolis, IN: 42% *
- Staten Island, NY: 41% **
- Charlotte, NC, 40% *
* Denotes member of Case-Shiller Top 20 Metro Areas by size, not price.
** Part of New York City which is in the Case-Shiller top 20.
12 cities in the above list (grouping the NY Burroughs as 1), are in the 40% or greater price appreciation group.
Case Shiller Top 20 Metro Areas
Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Phoenix, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa and Washington, D.C.
Case Shiller Top 20 Price Index
Unlike Case-Shiller, Point2Homes factors in both new and existing home prices. Case-Shiller only looks at resales.
I will ask Point2Homes for an analysis of the Case-Shiller top 20 metro area from the March 2012 bottom to now, grouping NYC as a single entity.
Had Point2Homes gone back one more year, the price gains would have been even more incredible.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock