Coronavirus Update and Tweets of the Day
Latest Cornoanvirus News
- The daily briefing from the Chinese National Health Commission reports 508 new confirmed cases and 71 deaths, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 77,658 and 2,663 total deaths. There are 2,824 additional suspected cases and 87,902 individuals are under medical observation.
- South Korea Centers for Disease Control is reporting 977 confirmed cases and 10 deaths. Public health officials are actively planning to test 200,000 members of the Shincheonji Church in which most confirmed cases have been linked back to. There is an additional cluster of 186 cases linked to a hospital in Daegu.
- A bulletin from the Italian Ministry of Health reports 283 infections and 7 deaths. The majority of cases are in the Lombardy region, however cases have been confirmed in 7 additional localities in Italy.
- A total of 5 cases are now confirmed in Spain. Four cases have been confirmed on the Canary Island of Tenerife, which has a small outbreak resulting from an infected traveler from Italy. All infected individuals were staying at the same Tenerife hotel, and now more than 1,000 tourists at the hotel have been placed on lockdown (ie, quarantine). In addition, one case has been confirmed in a 36 year old Italian woman living in Barcelona. The woman reportedly visited the Bergamo and Milan areas of northern Italy between February 12 and 22.
- There are 61 confirmed cases in Iran and 15 deaths. Notably, the Iranian deputy health minister has tested positive for COVID-19. Public gatherings have been banned in an effort to reduce transmission during the ongoing outbreak, the ban will be in place until the Persian New Year. The General Civil Aviation Authority United Arab Emirates has suspended all flights from Iran.
The above from Johns Hopkins email update. The lead chart is from Worldometers.
Most Expensive Words on Wall Street
Death Rate Comparison
Hard to Believe US is Contained
What They Do and What They Say
Trump on the Stock Market
Trump Says Coronavirus Under Control, Stock Market Looking Good
- CDC Admits Spread of Coronavirus in the US Appears Inevitable
- Lie of the Day: This is Not a Pandemic
- Bond Yields Crash and Gold Soars on Pandemic Threat
- Fed Minutes Highlight Coronavirus Concerns and Uncertainty 8 Times
- Nearly 50% Odds of "At Least" 3 Rate Cuts by December
Rate cuts odds started rising before coronavirus threat materialized on news Largest Global Shipping Decline Since 2009.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock