Trade War With China Morphs Into Currency War: Biggest Loser is the EU
Mike Mish Shedlock
Trade Wars Easy to Win
Trump's "logic" rests on the notion that China has a huge trade surplus and the US can hurt China more than China can hurt the US.
Such logic is seriously misguided.
- Trade is not a zero sum game. One does not gain by losing less. Losing is losing.
- Yes, Trump is correct that the US can place more tariffs on Chinese goods than China can place on US goods. However, Trump cannot ignore US farmers, but the unelected leaders in China can suppress all dissent.
- The US dollar floats, the Renmimbi (Yuan) doesn't. Thus, China can manipulate it currency, albeit with risks of capital flight, to mitigate some or all of US tariffs.
Currency charts can be confusing. Sometimes up is down and sometimes down is up, It depends on which currency is first. The lead chart shows a 7.4% decline in the yuan vs the US dollar since April 16.
Meanwhile the dollar index itself has advanced.
US Dollar Index
The Euro has the biggest weight in the index.
- Euro (EUR), 57.6% weight
- Japanese yen (JPY) 13.6% weight
- Pound sterling (GBP), 11.9% weight
- Canadian dollar (CAD), 9.1% weight
- Swedish krona (SEK), 4.2% weight
- Swiss franc (CHF) 3.6% weight
Because the euro floats and the Yuan doesn't, Europe is caught in the fight. This is precisely why the EU asked Trump to join with it to fight China. Trump rejected the idea.
Germany, one of Trump's hot button, is in a bad bind, especially given the rising threat of a hard Brexit.
The EU can scarcely afford to be in a simultaneous trade war with the US, China, and the UK.
Yet, that is precisely where we are.
Is anyone winning?
But if the current path continues the EU will be the biggest loser. The US and China can change tactics overnight. It takes the EU a decade to do anything.
- Odds of Hard Brexit Increase as UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Resigns
- Free Trade Good or Bad? Trump's Amazing Impact on Republicans and Democrats
- Trade War Hits Home: Trump's Asinine Protectionism
Mike "Mish" Shedlock